Friday, December 5, 2008

Slow Cooker Candied Spice Pecans


I first had candied spice pecans at a concert at Red Rocks in Colorado about 9 years ago. The cutest little hippy girl was selling them in paper cones, which held about 1/2 cup of nuts, for $7. I'm pretty sure she was either a marketing major or the devil in disguise, because those things were YUMMMMMMMMMY and she sucked huge amounts of money from me.

Since that day, I've tried making them myself, because, as my BFF has informed me, I have DIY issues and believe if I can buy it, I can make it. Anyhoo, everytime I've tried making them, I've burnt the jeepers out of them and unfortunately, I still haven't gained a love for eating charcoal. The oven can be such a vicious sweets hating monster. But wait! Up on the counter... it's a foundue pot.... it's a giant potpurri warmer...NO, It's SUPER SLOW COOKER!

Ahhh, my time forgiving, go read a book while I cook, friend. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...... (while I'm busy counting the ways, go give these a try)

Slow Cooker Candied Spice Pecans
4 cups pecans
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon (plus a smidge or two for sprinkling)


Toss it all in the slow cooker for 30 min to let the butter melt(be sure to taste one, because they rock). Stir and cook on low for 2 hours(be sure to taste another one, because they rock). After the pecans have had their swim in gooey sweet goodness, spread them out on some parchment paper, give a light sprinkling of cinnamon and let them cool(be sure to taste yet another one, because they rock). After they've cooled, Proceed with devouring these addictive little gems.

Look how stinking cute they are all wrapped up and ready to give to Helen the Plumbing Diva from Home Depot who made the installation of my dishwasher possible.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Yum! We are having a Holiday Dessert Party at our house next week and I am going to make these. They will make great munchies to have around the house that night! Thanks.

An Apron Straitjacket said...

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. I'm going to have to make another batch because the last one is gone already!

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy. I would make some now, but I don't have any parchment paper. I just bought 3 bags of freshly shelled pecan halves for $5.00 each. I think that's a great price. The secretary from from job who is now retired, sells the pecans every fall season. Will let you know how it turned out.

Flibbertigibbet said...

Damn it, I have had a long-held loathing of slow-cookers and you've gone and tempted me.
Do not, I repeat, do not, tell my mother.